13 ott 2007

First foam sheets ordered


Foam should be available in 7 / 14 days. Brand name Angeloni ET-75: PVC 75 Kg. 12 sheets (1000 x 2150mm) needed for +/- all flat parts. Still waiting for price and availability about B glass (DB 0-90°).

Q.: As a chain is strong as its weakest point, why should we vacuum bag flat panels while we (usually) don't bag hulls ? To save weigth ? Not a sensible difference, IMHO, and I'll go on a slimming diet, anyway ;-) Time to re-read Ian's building manual ... Comments welcome, as always.

Thanks everybody for voting in cabin pool !


12 fogli di PVC 75Kg ordinati da Angeloni: li vado a prendere la prossima settimana o quella dopo. Sto ancora aspettando prezzi e disponibilità per il biassiale 0-90°: ho chiesto anche a Mugnaini. Sperem !

Domanda: se una catena ha la forza del suo anello più debole, perchè dovrei fare i pannelli sotto vuoto se non faccio gli scafi sottovuoto ? Per salvare peso ? Non credo che cambi molto, e poi mi metterò a dieta, in ogni caso. Vediamo di rileggerci il manuale di costruzione ... Commenti benvenuti, come sempre. Grazie a tutti per il voto nel sondaggio !

2 commenti:

Menno ha detto...

I used vacuum bagging for all the panels, as recommended in the plans. It sure helps to get a (very) nice laminate, but it's also a lot of extra work (making holes in the foam, cutting and placing bleeder and release film and getting a nice seal on the vacuum bag). Expecially for the small panels, like the float bulkheads and the main transom, to me the benefits of vacuum bagging don't seem worth the extra work.

Menno

Tor Rabe ha detto...

I actually vacuum infuse all the flat panels, and I find that less work than bagging them. That is probably because I buy the foam with holes and grooves for the flat panels. Just lay up the fabric and foam, large panels at a time, covering with peel ply each side and infuse both sides simultaneously. Great info on www.fram.nl. This way no bubbles, perfect finish, I will not use any fairing on any interior panels.