Float center bk and bow bk are the less critical, IMO, so we started with them; here they are, before trimming:
We took a 100 x 75 cm foam piece (I had the foam sheets cut in 3 equal parts to bring them home in my car) and managed to optimize placement of our FSP copies. These paper copies were produced over this glass table, illuminating the FSP from below, no carbon copy film used. The bulkheads will be trimmed a little undersize and checked over the original FSP, but I found paper copies very handy. Here is the glass table:
Here is [part of] a "dry" F-22; just add water ... ;-)
We didn't used vacuum for these panels; maybe later. We laminated a "face" at a time, always using peelply. First panel was done "wet" method: epoxy was rolled over bare foam to saturate it, then glass was put over and rolled. At this point the panel had received the same amout of glass and epoxy, that's 210 gr glass and 210 gr epoxy. But the glass was far from wetted, IMO: it wasn't transparent ! In many place it was completely dry. No good ...
So I mixed more resin, another 210 gr, just to be sure, and start to apply it with the roller; now things went better and I could see the drawing on the foam, under the glass. I continued rolling until the glass was evenly wetted. Then we applied the peelply. First time in my life I used peelply ... and I'll use it again ! It started wetting while we pulled it and pressed it with our gloved hands. I finished applying the residual epoxy with the roller, and rolled, and rolled ...
So in the end we have got 33% glass and 67% resin in that lamination. I don't know how much resin has been trapped in the peelply, but anyway here is a close look at the result:
This is one of the less beautiful spot; those shiny areas denotes resin starvation, I'm afraid ... but I don't know really ... the glass is trasparent there, believe me, but there wasn't enough resin to reach the peelply surface. The brighter diagonal rows are where the glass fibres are a little more far apart from each other. No bubbles anywhere. Here is a better spot:
Subsequent laminations were done with less resin over the bare foam and the last panel was done in "dry" metod; in this way we were able to reach a ratio of 40% glass and 60% epoxy, that I know is far from the optimal 50 50 or less. The peelply was always completely wetted:
but I don't think it was wetted to the point to be able to receive a plastic sheet over and "loose" some resin from the laminate rolling toward the edges of the panel, as Grant is experimenting, lately. BTW: Grant is a marketing ace: he repackaged my "poor man vacuum bagging" in his "plastic on peelply" technique ... I must agree that it sounds far better ;-)
I'll meet my friend Luigi in the next few weeks, to show him my first laminations and have a look at his hulls. In the meantime ... comments welcome, as always.
12 nov 2007
First bulkheads glassed
Iscriviti a:
Commenti sul post (Atom)
5 commenti:
Bonjour Biol,
I am a new owner of F 82 plans, thank you for this experience. I founded 330gr and 523gr 0°/90° at:
http://www.selcom-srl.com/visuaprodotti2.asp
A Bientot
Richard Savoie France
Hi Richard, you are welcome !
Thanks a lot for this info: I phoned Selcom today and I'm waiting for their offer. I'll let you know.
Ciao !
Biol
Hi Biol,
My contact is Mrs Claudia Canal direct phone :+39 0438 581810, i ordered last week EBXS 300 real weight 330+ EBXS 500 real weight 523 + EBX 300 real weight 330 for beams and Central Module.May be you can join your order to mine if we have to cut one roll (EBXS 500)?Prices were from 3.5€ to 5.5€ without transport
Core cell need 3/400gr per face per sqm to fill the cells from the cut of the foam block.
Mix resin with microballs to wet the foam before laying with real epoxy: lighter.
Not my experience ,i read it.
Looking at your test because i will do peel ply.
Salut Richard.
Hi Richard,
yes, I spoke with Mrs Canal this morning and she remebers of you.
I too asked for EBXS 300; if 3.5€ is per linear meter at 127 cm height this means ... 3.5 / 1.27 / 0.33 = 8.35€ / Kg which seems good to me.
Insted of EBXS 500 I'm thinking about 2 layer of UNI 250 ... still undecided.
So you say a foam usually "drinks" 3/400 gr epoxy per sq meter / face just to saturate its surface ! Yes, this matches with my experience. Now I feel better about my resin / glass ratio.
Thanks for your suggestion about microballons: it makes sense, to save weight. Yesterday evening we used a "plastic over peelply" technique (see Grant blog) and it really works ! Far less irregularities in the surface while it really didn't take more time to do. Photo and comments in the next few days.
Ciao !
Biol
I thought this seemed reasonable as well and did a test. I don't remember the numbers, but the bottom line was: Don't use epoxy/microballoons in the surface; it's heavier!
I used vacuum infusion which means even more resin in the surface and a better ratio in the real laminate.
Nice bulkheads, Biol! Guess it feel good to start making parts
Posta un commento